12.04.2008

Contemplating Infinity

This is the first time I've updated my blog from a computer other than my own and I noticed that the font for my title doesn't come up properly. That's too bad. It's a cute font, too. I have nothing against courier, but it's just not the look I wanted for my blog. If you know what I mean. But that's not what I came here to blog about.

What I wanted to blog about was how crazy it is when I have two totally unrelated classes that start talking about the same thing at the same time. Like my freshman year when we were talking about proteins in Biology at the same time we were discussing the protein structures of wool and silk in my textiles class. Yeah, it was cool. I felt like I knew what everyone was talking about. This time around it's my astronomy class and my Doctrine & Covenants classes. I feel like those are the only two classes I talk about, but I guess they're just the most pertinent to this blog.

Anyway, in astronomy we've been talking about the universe (surprise!) and cosmology and all that jazz and we've been talking about how the universe is infinite and and rather huge. Here's a picture of the universe:

Just kidding. That's just a representation of the universe in jelly beans that I found and thought was funny. This is the universe for reals:



Consider: each dot of light is not a star (unless it has a refracting cross through it), rather it is a galaxy which contains somewhere on the order of 10 million to one trillion stars. There are an estimated 100 billion galaxies in the known universe. That's a lot of stars. That's a lot of potential planets. That's a lot of creation.

Now consider this: Christ performed an infinite atonement. My D&C teacher made a really great point regarding this the other day in class. He asked, Did the Atonement cover someone born half an hour after the crucifixion? Yes. Ten years? Yes. Three centuries? Yes. What about distance? Does the Atonement cover someone standing in Jerusalem? Yes. In California? Yes. On the other side of the Milky Way? Yes. 15 billion light years away? Yes. The Atonement spans all of space and time and so the entire universe.

It was an interesting concept that I hadn't really considered before. Of course it makes perfect sense, but I had never stopped to think about it. Christ is the Savior of all that he created. And that's a really big creation. It's so big we can't even begin to comprehend how big it is. We talk about infinity and eternity and our mortal minds blow a fuse. My brother and I agreed; the best way to contemplate an infinite universe is to accept it, and move on otherwise you'll get an astronomical headache.

No comments: